Home Remedies for Diabetes
One of the major goals of diabetes treatment is controlling blood glucose levels, in order to prevent complications of the disease. The good news is that there are a number of home remedies that you can use to regulate blood sugar levels. They are safe and natural, and many offer a multitude of other health benefits as well. If you can control your blood sugar levels, you can live a normal life without the symptoms of the disease bothering you.
Here is a look at some of the best home remedies for regulating blood sugar levels:
Okra, also known as ladies’ finger, is well known for its ability to help regulate blood glucose levels. It contains polyphenolic molecules that not only reduce blood sugar levels, but also help in controlling diabetes. Studies have also found that okra peel and seed powder may reduce cholesterol levels and have anti diabetic properties.
- Take a few okras, cut off their ends and using a fork, prick them in several places.
- Soak the okras overnight in a glass of water.
- In the morning, remove the okras from the glass and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- Do this every day for several weeks.
- Additionally, make sure that you include okra in your diet.
Aloe vera has a number of medicinal properties that make it an excellent natural remedy for a number of health conditions and diseases, including diabetes. Aloe vera gel helps lowering fasting blood sugar levels. Aloe vera gel contains phytosterols that may have anti-hyperglycemic effects on Type II diabetes. To control blood sugar, you can make an herbal medicine by combining aloe vera gel, turmeric and bay leaves.
Here is one simple recipe-
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric and ground bay leaves.
- Consume this mixture 2 times a day, before lunch and dinner.
Curry leaves have anti-diabetic properties which make them useful in controlling and preventing diabetes. It is believed that there is an ingredient in these leaves that reduces the rate at which starch gets broken down into glucose in patients with diabetes. Curry leaves also help in lowering high cholesterol levels and obesity.
- Chew about 10 fresh curry leaves every morning.
- For best results, do this daily for 3 to 4 months.
Powdered cinnamon stimulates insulin activity, thereby lowering blood sugar levels. The bioactive components that it contains help in both fighting and preventing diabetes. There have been certain trials showing that cinnamon can work as an effective option for lowering blood sugar levels in patients with uncontrolled Type II diabetes.
- Mix 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of warm water. Drink this once a day.
- Alternatively, you can boil 2 to 4 sticks of cinnamon in 1 cup of water and let it steep for 20 minutes. Drink this solution every day until you notice an improvement.
- You can also add cinnamon to smoothies, warm milk and beverages and baked goods.
However, keep in mind that you should not take cinnamon in excess as Cassia cinnamon, the type of cinnamon commonly used, contains a toxic compound known as coumarin that increases the risk of liver damage. There is another cinnamon variety called Ceylon cinnamon or true cinnamon that is considered safer for health. However, there are not enough studies showing its effects on blood glucose levels. Read this article if you want more information on role of cinnamon on diabetes.
Tender mango leaves are known to regulate insulin levels in the blood, and therefore can be used to treat diabetes. They are also known to be helpful in blood lipid profiles.
- Soak 10 to 15 tender mango leaves overnight in 1 glass of water.
- Filter the water the next morning and drink it on an empty stomach.
- You can also grind these leaves after drying them in the shade. Eat 1/2 teaspoon of powdered mango leaves 2 times a day to control blood sugar levels.
Fenugreek can be used to lower blood sugar levels, control diabetes and improve tolerance to glucose. It also works in stimulating the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin. Fenugreek has high fiber content, making it effective in slowing down the absorption of sugars and carbohydrates.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- Drink the mixture along with the seeds on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Following this remedy daily without fail will help bring down your glucose level.
- You can also eat 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder with milk everyday.
As you can see, there are many effective home remedies that can help regulate blood sugar levels and control diabetes. These are natural and safe, which means that you will not experience harmful side effects. However, if you are taking any medication for diabetes, you should consult your doctor before taking any home remedies.
- Type 2 Diabetes and Life Expectancy - July 20, 2022
- Seven Minute Work Out for Diabetics - July 25, 2017
- Six Moves for a 30 Minute Work Out For Diabetics - June 15, 2017