There are certain risk factors that can increase your chance of developing diabetes.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Family member (parents and siblings) with diabetes.
- African American, Hispanic, Asian American, American Indian and Pacific Islander.
- History of gestational diabetes
- Giving birth to a baby weighing more than 9 pounds
- History of high blood pressure
- High cholesterol level. Especially, if your triglyceride level is above 250 or if your good cholesterol (HDL) is below 35.
- If you are above 45 years of age or older.
- History of prediabetes (borderline abnormal fasting glucose or impaired glucose tolerance test or if A1c level was 5.7-6.4%)
WATCH A VIDEO TO SEE HOW PEOPLE DEVELOP DIABETES>>